Translate science into practice with Prevention Strategist, APIC’s signature magazine. This quarterly publication provides members with evidence-based strategies and practical guidance from leading experts to help prevent infection.
- Access information for authors and editorial guidelines
- See what our readers think about Prevention Strategist.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to order article reprints.
- For advertising inquiries, access the media kit or contact:
Prevention Strategist—Summer 2014
Prevention Strategist—Spring 2014
Cover story: Top 10 operating room questions answered by experts
- APIC 2014 opening plenary preview
- Focus on LTC/behavioral health outbreaks
- Environmental cleaning toolkit
- Improving hand hygiene: State of play and challenges for U.S. hospitals
On the CUSP: Stop CAUTI supplement—Spring 2014
This special supplement features success stories from facilities that have joined the On the CUSP: Stop CAUTI program, strategies for engaging others in CAUTI prevention, insight from experts on the program’s core national faculty, ways for your healthcare organization to be part of the program, frequently asked questions, and much more. Entire issue is open access.
Prevention Strategist—Winter 2013
Cover story: A closer look--Antibiotic resistance and the microbiome Open access
- Infection prevention in outpatient oncology settings Open access
- Multidrug-resistant Tuberculosis
- Today's infection prevention challenges in long-term care: Are we ready to manage them? Open access
- Egypt's Professional Diploma in Infection Control (PDIC): A success story
- Ready, set, implement! A nurse-driven Foley catheter protocol to prevent CAUTI Open access
Prevention Strategist—Fall 2013
Cover story: SARS, 10 years later. Open access
- Patient isolation: Should the patient perspective be a consideration?
- Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV)
- The Human Microbiome Project: What's in it for IPs?
- The surprising culprit of C-Section surgical site infections
Prevention Strategist—Summer 2013
Cover story: Self-assessment to advance IP competency
- Infection preventionists across the country identified the cause of the recent fungal meningitis outbreak and worked collaboratively to stop its spread.
- By following a few key recommendations, infection preventionists can ensure that HAI data reporting is both simplified and reliable.
- New York hospitals face infection prevention challenges in the wake of Hurricane Sandy.
- A microbiological overview of carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae.
Prevention Strategist—Spring 2013
Cover story: Clostridium difficile—A multifaceted approach to prevention. Open access
- Dr. Nathan Wolfe, world-renowned viral forecaster and epidemiologist, to headline APIC 2013 as keynote speaker.
- A program designed to break through the boundaries of hospital administration allows the clinical lab and IP to leverage the strengths of each department.
- A microbiological overview of specific natural properties of bacteria that proliferate and result in infection—under the right conditions.
- Stellenbosch University in Cape Town, South Africa is improving patient outcomes via a new model of infection prevention education within its resource-limited country.
Prevention Strategist—Winter 2012
Cover story: APIC celebrates 40 years of growth and progress. Open access
- Point/counterpoint: Two different perspectives are shared about contact precautions.
- Fact or opinion: How to tell if a speaker’s presentation is based on solid clinical evidence.
- APIC chapters share photo highlights from the 2012 International Infection Prevention Week celebration.
- Contaminated IV fluids are a major public health concern for hospitalized children in Mexico.
Prevention Strategist—Fall 2012
Preventing CAUTI: A patient-centered approach – Open access
The new VAE definition: A paradigm shift for infection preventionists
- An infection prevention and environmental services collaboration has dramatically reduced infections.
- An infection preventionist shares her family’s experience with healthcare-associated infections. Open access
- The new NHSN Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination Measure: What you need to know Open access
- Create an infection prevention movement through International Infection Prevention Week. Open access
Prevention Strategist—Spring 2012
Cover story: Over the next eight years, APIC Strategic Plan 2020 will accelerate progress toward the elimination of healthcare-associated infections.
- APIC joins with the World Health Organization to strengthen infection prevention preparedness for, and response to, epidemic infectious disease.
- When the CEO of Novant Health set out to change the culture surrounding hand hygiene, he had one goal – saving lives.
- APIC’s newest collaboration builds a bridge between infection preventionists and laboratory professionals.
- An infection preventionist leads a successful campaign to reduce ventilator-associated pneumonia, central line-associated bloodstream infections, and other life-threatening infections.